Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day 0 - Snap, Crackle, Pop

No one really knows why certain things happen. The only thing we can all do as human beings is accept it for what it is and move forward with a smile. I didn't ask for this broken ankle. But it never the less happened and there isn't much that I can do to change that for the time being.

I've never been through such an experience, but although I was new to a broken bone my body told me instantly what happened. After four of my teammates gracefully landed on top of each other, myself included, my ankle/ fibula bone caught the wrong end of about 600lbs of pure mass. 600lbs is a rough estimate but I fancy myself to be quite the milk drinker so with the strength of my bones (due to the high intake of calcium) I am not really surprised at the amount of weight required to cause the break.

I'd like to thank the two brave men that helped me walk off the field after the injury occured. And I'd also like to thank those few who stuck behind to aid me in getting back to my apartment. Finally I'd like to thank the man, a true dear friend, who dropped me off at the hospital and then after 3 hrs of being in the hospital came to pick me up only about 15minutes late from when I called for a ride home (sarcasm - i do sincerely appreciate the help). Thank you to all, it's people like you guys that make this world a wonderful place.

I believe the cowboys have a saying that goes something like this: "Sometimes a 'cowboy' will fall off his horse. Some will be too scared to get back on, but a real cowboy saddles right back on up and keeps riding."

I hope in time, I too shall be able to saddle on up.

2 comments:

  1. only if I had the same courage you had JR. keep fighting.... keep fighting....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Eric for your kind words. Its the kind words from people like you that make my day to day struggle, just that much easier. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete