Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Day 1 - Acceptance

After a gay ole night in the company of some of my closest friends with nothing but harmonica songs and rugby on the telly I awake alone, in my bed, with my foot still in a boot. It seems that what appeared to be a dream last night is actually, reality. As I struggle to perform daily activities I realize that this isn't going to be a quick path to two healthy legs again. I begin to understand I will need to learn a few things, change some behaviors, and make adjustments to get by with only one functional part of my base.

The first step a recovering alcoholic must take on the road to a drug free life is admitting that he/she has a problem. I must do the same. I must be brutally honest with myself.

My ankle is broken. I am in a boot. I can't not change this, I, I must accept it.

Now it is time to move forward with my life. Through the strength and support of my family and friends I can get through this. My goal is to recover in four weeks so I can still scuba dive this spring break. I know this is ambitious but if you are my friend at school, reading this, ask yourself: not what can JR do for me? but what can I do to help JR?!

I'll tell you what you could do to help JR, just call about 5 minutes ahead of time so I know to be dressed but here is a list of some things that I would certainly do for you (my friends) if you were confined to crutches and a wheel chair for 6-8 weeks:

- my laundry (wash, dry and fold - must do all 3)
- fill the Brita pitcher with water
- buy me 2 gallons of Skim Milk (food lion brand is OK!!)
- wash my back tonight when I take a bath
- drive me to the doctor's tomorrow for my 10:50am appointment and take me back home
- call me just to let me know you're thinking about me and wish me a speedy recovery

Now that I have accepted my injury, you may be wondering, how will I live?
In the wise words of the real JR, "day by day."

No comments:

Post a Comment